Our client, Marriott International Hotels, wanted to know what features guests talk about on social media. For example, do guests favor the room, decor, pillows, lobby, food, etc.?
This social listening research was conducted using Crimson Hexagon and had a Boolean string of over 160 lines of code. We decided to measure a year’s worth of posts ranging from August 31, 2017–August 31, 2018. Through our initial pull, we found over 1.4 million posts contained the following Marriott brands. (We decided to exclude Marriott’s company social media accounts so we could focus strictly on consumer brand insights):
- AC Hotels
- Courtyard by Marriott
- Delta Hotels
- St. Regis Hotels
- Fairfield Inn
- Sheraton Hotel
- W Hotel
- Residence Inn
- Luxury Collection
- Marriott Hotels
- Renaissance Inn
- Townplace Suites
- Westin Hotels
- Four Points
- JW Hotels
- Le Meridien
- Springhill Suites
- Autograph Collection
- Ritz-Carlton Hotels
After looking into Marriott International Hotel brands as a whole, we wanted to figure out what people were discussing about the Marriott brand. We filtered these results with the most relevant insights using these keywords:
- Elite/Platinum Memberships
With this second pull, we found that 526,106 posts contained the term Marriott and the filtered keywords. With these filters we were able to conclude observations of what hotel guests were posting and commenting on Twitter, Instagram, and other blog sites.
The insights that we learned from Marriott International Hotels are stated below. We believe that our insights will help assist Marriott in capitalizing on their marketing efforts.
The following infographics are interactive, select the arrow buttons below to swipe through.
[swf src=”http://spencernorawong.com/ydigital/demographic.swf” width=”100%” height=”800″ ]
Filter: Throughout the research process, we included a filter in Crimson Hexagon to exclude Marriott Hotel brand’s social media handles and blog links. Based on our discussion with the client, we know that they prioritize food, experience, and customer service.
[swf src=”http://spencernorawong.com/ydigital/brand-insights.swf” width=”100%” height=”800″ ]
Keyword | “Bedroom”
- Key Insight 1: “The Springhill Suites by @Marriott uptown in Charlotte NC has to be the worst laid out hotel room I’ve ever stayed in. This is rediculous! Can’t watch TV from bed… Bathroom door across from and between the beds…..”
- Key Insight 2: “A new favorite @marriotthotels experience! I booked today using the app and then sent a special request. I asked for a framed photo of Sponge Bob and a cup of yellow M&Ms. This is what awaited us in our room. Hats off to Liz and the fantastic staff at the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Mount Vernon, Illinois.”
- Key Insight 3: “A huge thank you to the Ritz-Carlton Mega Kuningan Jakarta @ritzcarlton for sponsoring my stay at your beautiful Mayfair suite. Have never had such a warm welcome where my pictures were placed on the bed and displayed on the TV screen! Super sweet gesture!”
[swf src=”http://spencernorawong.com/ydigital/bedroom.swf” width=”100%” height=”800″ ]
Keyword | “Membership”
- Key Insight 1: “Hotels w free breakfast> fancy hotels that think you’re rich enough to pay for breakfast. Fun fact: I’m not that rich and I’m eating a crusty donut from last night.”
- Key Insight 2: “Marriott Courtyards, AC Hotels, and Moxy aren’t included in Free Elite Breakfast after all. We were promised these hotel brands would offer Platinum breakfast benefits. They don’t. They offer a food and beverage credit, which can be used any time…”
- Key Insight 3: “Should Marriott re-think its skimpy elite benefits at brands like AC? I can think of an easy solution. Give Platinums (both Spg and Marriott) A real full breakfast at all locations Ritz to FI’s.”
[swf src=”http://spencernorawong.com/ydigital/membership.swf” width=”100%” height=”800″ ]
Keyword | “Breakfast”
- Key Insight 1: “I used 100,000 Marriott points for this stay ( I use an American Express Starwood card to earn points… a family member has gluten and dairy allergies, so we tend to make all their food while on vacation. The breakfast is one of the best I have seen at a Residence Inn. They have a huge selection of foods, a large eating area and it’s clean.”
- Key Insight 2: The perfect egg was featured on many Instagram posts.
- Key Insight 3: Instagram is where most of the pictures of breakfast are found.
[swf src=”http://spencernorawong.com/ydigital/breakfast.swf” width=”100%” height=”800″ ]
Keyword | “Airplane”
- Key Insight 1: “My favorite meal of the day. Last meal before I take off @ACHotels.”
- Key Insight 2: “Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Omaha Downtown has shuttered its airport shuttle service, replacing it with Uber Central, part of Uber for Business, to offer guests free transportation to and from Eppley Airfield.”
- Key Insight 3: This man was at the airport and posted about his experience of breakfast at the Four Points Hotel.
[swf src=”http://spencernorawong.com/ydigital/airplane.swf” width=”100%” height=”800″ ]